Wednesday 14 September 2011

Wednesday 14th September

My night didn't go so well as I did my usual washroom inspection around 2 AM, I  could hardly walk, my back was killing me. Time to pop some strong ibuprofen to counteract my crappy massage. Safely back in bed, I slept well until Ric had his morning wake up call to go running with one of the members from the group. Happy I didn't commit to that one. I got up spread out the yoga mat that Ric insists I have to Use more often as he has carried it all this way strapped to his rucksack. That is merely because we have traded rucksacks and my one had the external straps for it. I did an hour of yoga and pilates in the nip to counteract my sore back. (bet Ric is sorry he went running ;) ) Thanks to Yona and Leslie back home in Grenada, I did all the right moves to sort me out.  

So we are on the move again this evening to Agra. This is the whole reason I wanted to visit India someday. I have no idea what my fascination is with the taj mahal or Indian culture. I just have always wanted to visit.

Before this we have a cooking course booked with a local lady in the village. She is the wife of indu the Hindu. 4 of us chicas are taken by autorickshaw to the house. She invited us in and had us seated on matresses on the ground. She handed us lined paper and pens. We joked hat we felt we were ba k in school and should underline the date.  We learned how to make 8 dishes. She demonstrated each dish, step by step as we wrote down the recipe. All the dishes were vegetarian and had the most amazing aroma, each seemed better than the last. We made aloo Saag, cauliflower and potato curry, aubergine curry, raitha, guava chutney , chapattis and chai, of course. So yummy, though the sightings of two little mice geeked me out bit I stayed calm and remained gracious to our hostess.

With our tummies full and our recipes written down with the dates underlined, we headed back for a quick swim and chill at the pool. We packed up and headed to the train station. We did a quick stop at a Tara gram factory. It is where they recycle cotton and make it into paper. The process is quite labour intensive,back breaking work. I can't really complain about my crap massage when you see what work they have to do daily. The end result is fairly coarse thick paper, the kind you see in the papyrus stores. I 
purchased a fabulous paper lampshade with an ohm inlay, much to Ric's chagrin because of the size. I love it and it is in his bag, shhhhh.

Off to hop on a train to Agra, woohoo!
So far, sari, check, ohm, check, yoga, check, religious ceremony, check, blessing, check, near death Rickshaws ride, check, thumbs up, check, squatting toilets, check and check, ficus religiosa leaf, check, ATM withdrawal, check, elephant ride, check, amazing scenery photos, check, cooking class, check, all types of curry, check

Left on the list
Taj mahal, Bollywood movie, anklets that make loads of noise, henna, Ganesh, fridge magnet, embroidered shoes...Delhi belly?

Ha,
Ais

No comments:

Post a Comment