Wednesday 14 September 2011

Close shave 14/09

He Said....

I did get up at 8am and run this morning, through the town, across the river and down into the park, then I realised, to myself "it's 40 degrees what the hell am I doing?" so I walked back and hit the pool. I always wonder why I never see anyone else running.

Big buffet breakfast and check out.

Ais took a local cookery class in the town and the boys set off on an unsceduled trip to a local barbers shop for a wet cut- throat shave and head massage. I couldn't decide what to do so told the barber to do what he thought was traditional and looked good...I never thought he had Yosemite Sam in mind... So thats what I have, and as moustaches are big in India I think I can get away with this.
But damn it was a great shave, face massage, head and back massage all for $2.
(80 Rp) I had a back massage in the hotel spa when we arrived which cost $25 and wasn't a patch on the barber shop treatment, that felt like I was being basted for a Sunday Roast.
So Ais finally learnt how to cook proper and I had a nice doggie bag lunch when I got back.
Things looked up as we had proper cars with A/C to the train station, we stopped off at a paper factory, part of a sustainable eco industry where they take old clothes and turn them into paper products.
Our train tonite No.12001 is to Agra and it is surprisingly clean, spacious with A/C.
On these kind of trains you really get to see the disparity between the haves (A/C class) and the have nots (General class). The haves are dressed Western style with jeans and brand name trainers and tops, they have cell phones and computers and eat the complimentary meals and drinks, the have nots sit cramped on hard bench seats dressed in traditional attire carrying provisions, nowhere else have I seen such a societal segregation obviously based on wealth, which is hugely influenced by the omnipresent caste system.
We arrive into Agra on time, late evening and have out first proper double bed and a TV with BBC World, and Top Gear.
Tomorrow the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort
Jai Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment