Thursday 17 November 2011

This is it 16/11


The title is fitting, Michael Jackson used it and then his concert and his life were cut short, by a Grenadian... now I'm using it because my trip has been cut short and I'm returning to Grenada- you can see the natty segue there.

Had a night out on the beach yesterday at The Raleigh with my good friend RVE, Mojitos flowed and the time flew, he had just flown from Qatar and came straight from the airport so Nuff respect there.

It's Wednesday, the flight leaves at 4.30pm, I've been up since 7.30am so I can make the day last as long I can. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't want to go to Grenada, it's just that I don't want to go to Grenada, just now.

So we experienced the new Miami rental car centre and monorail, for some reason the monorail only goes halfway after which point you have to take 4 moving walkways and an elevator- a little half assed if you ask me.

And $4 for a luggage cart, I don't want to buy the thing I want to push my luggage a few hundred feet, I know it sounds like penny pinching and I'm sure they need to pay for their half monorail somehow, but where else in the world do you pay for luggage trolleys, I've been to 16 international airports in the last 3 months and not paid a dime for a luggage cart, come on Miami, you'll be charging us to use the freeways next!!

The sphincter army were thankfully on lunch when we checked in and so all our luggage was checked without incident, but oh, oh the TSA- a sea of blue at security, it appears they have a program now where every passenger gets their own individual TSA agent, there are so many of them and they are all like the "misshapes" biscuits you get after Easter, they are either massively tall, unfeasible muscly or mainly vastly overweight, it is a Fluster Cluck of the highest order, a case of too many cooks if there ever was one.

I so wanted to have a Glock and a Berretta concealed on my personage just to see if Sharonesquia would put down her lipstick or Wayne would stop flexing his muscles and relax his "dog butt" mouth facial expression (think about it) for a moment and notice, but no, I'm gunless so instead they pull my bag and identify a dangerous looking padlock and a potentially lethal bottle of Supergreen powder- the world is now thankfully a safer place.

I think for the first time on a Grenadian flight home I know no one, a mix of elderlies and students but no familiar faces.
The round the world loop is almost complete, 32,156 miles if you have been counting- 9 and a half countries, (I have a t- shirt from each one!) 4 more un-visited countries due to monsoons, typhoons and other oon sounding calamities, 3 passport visas, 1 tourism visa, one half country, one autonomous dependancy and one Rugby World Cup. From sea level to 5400 metres, as far South as 45 degrees (Milford Sound, NZ) and as far North as 53 degrees (Manchester, UK!!), across both Tropics, the Equator and the International date line, we've covered mountains, tundra, permafrost, desert, glacial lakes, holy rivers, earthquake zones and geothermal zones, fjords, waterfalls- both above ground and under. We've seen rhinos, tigers, cheetahs, ephliphants, crocodiles, llamas, buffalo, yak, emu, kiwi, glow worms and 40 million sheep ( yep, there are that many in NZ). We've flown in planes both jet and prop, ridden in buses, tuk tuks and tut tuts, (including the Executive ones) 1st class trains, 2nd class trains, sleeper trains and scenic trains, taken sea ferries, paddled canoes, hopped in taxis, jumped on river cabs and river ferries, taken metros, monorails and meter cabs, mobilised with elephants, trekked on horses and horsed around on Treks ( it's a bike). We've even had 26 hours go by but only register 5 on the clock.

And now it appears we are back, but in the best possible Grenadian accent...

I think we've come back, to go out again....

No comments:

Post a Comment